[DECtalk] DECtalk for Linux

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Thu Feb 24 00:38:50 EST 2011

Well Tony, I had considered asking on here about the DecTalk, but for different
reasons.  I guess you know I've been useing Speakup since 2004 or so.  My older
Dec-PC worked horribly in Speakup, but was fine in JAWS--and years earlier in
another machine, I really enjoyed Vocal-Eyes.  But now with the U S B  there
are still issues, which you-and-I have probably written about, but for the
benefit of others.
Yes, I am also enjoying Debian Squeeze Testing.
Quite often while arrowing around either in review or in an editor, the volume,
pitch, and rate all get knocked down.  I must ajust each of these 3 values and
then my settings are fine for awhile.  Especially if I hold an left-review
arrow down, it many times knocks the pitch down--and you must find a capitalzed
letter to read to jump back.
Ever since this new maching-and-switching from FC9 to Debian, if there's an
apostrufey followed by an s, such as cnn's  it jumbles together making no
sense.
Also, as you know I really miss not having an acception dictionary.  As I
understand only Jupiter  and Emacspeak have them in console Linux, but I think
practicly all windows screen-readers enjoy that flexability.
Really only DecTalk and Elequence are tollerable.
Thanks for listening
Hart