[DECtalk] Workaround for greyed out Convert to Wave File option in some DECTalk demos

Alex H. linuxx64.bashsh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 22:23:27 EST 2011

Hi all,

I thought I'd tell you how I capture sounds from other versions of the
DECTalk demos that don't allow you to export wave files directly like
in version 4.3. I've baught a program called TotalRecorder
www.totalrecorder.com
It allows one to record the internal soundcard and is pretty handy. I
know you could use Audacity or other free apps to do the same, but
sometimes certain soundcards don't have an option to record system
sounds etc, which is where this comes in.

In Windows XP, this program is even cooler. Instead of just recording
the whole soundcard, you can record specific applications, such as the
DECTalk demo application, directly. This way, the chatter of your
screen reader won't be heard and you won't have to keep your system
quiet while you're recording DECTalk clips.

Alex