[DECtalk] Status and uploads

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Sep 29 01:25:10 EDT 2009

Yes, I've thought about anonymous ftp only, but there are a few
problems.  The biggest is abuse.  There are ways to enforce bandwidth
limiting with ftp, but it isn't as easy to do.  Second, I have other
sites hosted here and I don't want people accidentally stumbling on the
archive.  With the web, you can set up virtual hosting so that many
sites run on one IP address.  For example, http://sleepyhollow.yi.org/
and http://dectalk.goldenaudio.net/ both go to the same IP address but
are completely different sites.  You can't do that with ftp because each
ftp site requires a dedicated IP address.  In the above example, if you
ftp to either site with a valid user and password, it doesn't matter
because you'll still end up in the same root directory with the same
files.  Also, it's harder to get the router to accept anonymous ftp.
Finally, all the index pages are generated automatically so it requires
no work on my part.  I am thinking about ftp, but to do it right, it
costs money which I don't have to spend.  Donations anyone?