[DECtalk] Status of the archive

Jayson Smith ratguy at insightbb.com
Wed Sep 23 02:43:52 EDT 2009

I've seen a decline in the interest in making DECtalk sing. For a while
before I decided to hand the archive over to Tony, I didn't get any uploads.
And yes, I did turn it over to him because of bandwidth issues, which is the
strange thing. People seem to be infatuated with the archive. I don't know
what it is, but it seems either tons of people discover the archive
constantly, which seems rather unlikely. Or the same people download the
same files over and over and over again. I know that shouldn't be it either,
as it's rather simple to save a local copy of a downloaded file so you can
play it whenever you want, as many times as you want, forever, without ever
downloading it from anyone else again.
     Sad though this may seem, I pretty much agree with Tony that the
DECtalk archive has outlived its usefulness. When making DECtalk sing was a
hugely popular thing to do, there needed to be an archive of people's
creations. But now that's died off. That having been said, I don't think the
archive should be totally destroyed. Any time there has been an archive like
this one, I think it ought to exist in one form or another as long as
there's someone out there willing to allow it to do so. What I envision
happening to the archive is possibly a DVD ISO being made, or something
similar. That way, it can continue to exist, and be available in its
entirety if someone is willing to host it, as an archive now closed to new
submissions. That is, the archive is what it is, and will forever more stay
the same.
Thoughts? Comments?