[DECtalk] DecTalk can speak Italian, but it's rediculous!!!

GUI Access guiaccess at covad.net
Fri Aug 22 15:22:44 EDT 2008

At 1:24 PM -0700 8/22/2008, Raymond Grote wrote:
>Ah, that's why Dectalk 4.6 sounded so different?
>I'd love to see what Dectalk would've sounded like now if they hadn't
>replaced it. Why do people always have to use recorded samples of humans
>now, just to create something natural that has virtually no flexibility?
>This is why I just test synths now, I'm not that serious about them. Maybe
>one day the average person will be able to freely create his/her own tts
>voices in a way that is accessible with a screen reader! Probably going to
>be a long wait though...

DECtalk 4.6 does not use recorded samples of
humans.  For that matter, neither does DECtalk
5.0.  In fact, no version of DECtalk does this.
DECtalk is a formant based text-to-speech system.
DECtalk 4.6 sounds different because Force
Computers "improved" the phoneme and the vocal
tract portions of the synthesizer.  I use the
term "improved" very loosely because I don't feel
the results were an improvement at all.

Fonix tried to undo some of the improvements that
Force Computers introduced but there are still
known bugs in the VTM.  I've always suspected
that all Fonix ever received was the Force
Computers' 4.61 source code and that anything
earlier is lost.  Otherwise it would have been
trivial to restore the D.E.C.-sounding voices.

GUI Access