[DECtalk] making a better way to put in notes

Paul Balfe taz0801 at charter.net
Fri Feb 16 17:51:57 EST 2007

hmm.  we don't want that.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dectalk at aol.com
  To: dectalk at bluegrasspals.com
  Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 4:44 PM
  Subject: Re: [DECtalk] making a better way to put in notes

  That's the $64000.00 question.  I have a Dectalk 4.0 Speak Window that I down loaded from the internet years ago.  To my ears, it sounds as close to the Dennis Klatt hardware version as you can get.  When Fonix bought Dectalk, they never god the files that date back as far as mine does.  Somehow, the earliest software version that Fonix has was already changed, but no one knows by who or why.  So, at best you end up with a less than desirable quality version of Dectalk.

  Dennis use to give out the source code for Dectalk, it was never meant to be private.  I've talked with Corine about this a few times.  From what I understand, she believes that someone knows how or has a decompiled version of the 4.40 Dectalk Speak Window.  If we ever track it down, we want to create and release a version of that quality.

  So every so often I go fishing in hopes of finding someone who can decompile it.  I have 2 friends that could crack it, but they won't out of fear of being in big trouble.  They both fail to understand that they would be helping in a big way.

  So I think our only hope is finding a person that both knew Dennis and has those files.  So every so often I ask to see if I might get lucky on behalf of Fonix.

  SNOOPI BOTTEN