[DECtalk] new to the list

Darrin Porter darrin.porter at tecoocean.com
Thu Mar 2 08:36:50 EST 2006

Tony,

I use a DecTalk PC on my DOS-based system (sorry for the confusion on
my previous post).  I am also using JAWS 2.31.  The dictionary manager
for that program allows you to enter pretty much anything in the replace
window, E.G., I can enter a hard carriage return and tell it to "say"
[tone: freq. duration.].  The DecTalk PC recognizes this string as a
command instead of a string of letters to pronounce, so it works like a
champ.  I find that very brief tones--clicks of the speaker really--are
much less intrusive than, say, "RETURN" or "HRT" or something.  I am an
engineer and do quite a bit of technical writing and need to be able to
clearly know what my documents look like.  That is why I still work in
WP 5.1 on my DOS based system.

I have tried and tried to create dictionary definitions in JFW's
dictionary manager to accomplish the same thing in MS Word or even WP
10, but have been unsuccessful.  I don't know what the problem is.  The
express just repeats the command string or it  is not receiving the
command in its correct format.  I have even asked Freedom Scientific
about it, and they don't even know what I'm talking about!  Typical!

Darrin