[DECtalk] dectalk external question

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 1 18:38:46 EST 2006

Hi,
This info is a few years old but was still valid as of October 2005 when I
last ordered from this place.  This isn't my original post but I received it
a few years ago and have hung on to it ever since.  Here goes.
Jayson.

Last February I did some research into locating such things as the
cables, connector, and battery pack for the DecTalk Express.  I had real
good luck on the cables, but the battery pack has turned difficult at
best.  First the good news and I am copying a couple of folks who
requested this specific
information:
Cable supplier: www.stonewallcable.com
The primary cable for the DTE is generically called an MMJ to MMJ, but
carries a DEC part number BC16E.  The part is usually ordered as a
BC16E-10, -25, or - whatever, where the "-XX" indicates the length in
feet. Stonewall Cable uses a part number is SC-7021 and then you tell
them how many feet you want it to be.  I chose to get a 10 foot.  The
pricing is $5.50 plus 20 cents per foot, ergo a 10 foot cable was $7.50.
Next we have that funky little connecter that you can't buy at Radio
Shack. Generically this is called an MMJ to DB-9F.  The DEC part number
is  DEC H8571-J and the Stonewall Cable part number is SC-9444-J.  The
price on this piece is $12.95. Shipping is whatever you want, but I like
and they will provide USPS Priority Mail at the reasonable rate of $7.85
(this was last Feb.).

I was going to order up a batch of cables and connectors, but when no
one found an immediate need last Feb. I dropped the idea.  It's probably
just as well that each person handle there own.  Stonewall takes credit
cards and their phone number is toll free 800-525-3303.  I loved there
internet order form, but I also have the benefit of a couple of eyes.

If I come up with a reasonable solution to the battery problem I will
send it out.  $115.00 plus shipping for the battery pack is outrageous.
By the way, your savings by using Stonewall will be about $44, where
authorized DecTalk suppliers are quoting $50 for the adapter and $14 for
the cable.