[DECtalk] dectalk external question

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 1 03:58:34 EST 2006

Hi,
You have one of the old DECtalks.  I've never seen one of these so don't
have connector info, but I've heard Speakup under Linux can use these so if
you ever want someone to take it off your hands...
Anyway, you're wrong, any connector with pins or plugs showing is a male,
any jack or serial connector without pins showing is a female.  The phone
jacks, as I understand it, are not used for connection to a computer.  These
old DECtalk units could interface with a phone line to give callers spoken
information, provided you had or could write the appropriate software.  I
think they could even do menu-based stuff, E.G. "For the song of the day
press 1, for the DECtalk demo review of the day press 2, for your current
account balance press 3, to use a time machine to make it so that Digital
would never have even thought of selling DECtalk press 4, etc."  Thus,
probably the reason that DECtalk versions to this day have touchtone dialing
commands.
Jayson.