[DECtalk] THE QUESTION MARK

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 27 00:58:14 EST 2006

Hi,
I've reached the following conclusions.  I experimented with DECtalk 4.3
demo, creating a wav file.  I used your four questions and invented twelve
more.  Questions starting with How, Where, Why, what and when had a downward
inflection, like a sentence.  Others had an upward inflection like a
question.  My DECtalk Express using version 4.2CD of the firmware handles
these questions in the same way.  To hear DECtalk 4.3 asking these
questions, get the following file.
http://www.bluegrasspals.com/questions.wav
Here are the questions.  Note that in the fourteenth question there is a
comma, which makes it still sound like a question.  The fifteenth question
is just the second part of the fourteenth question but is still spoken like
a sentence.
Have you eaten yet?
How many of your brothers still live at home?
How many years of school did it take to become a nurse?
Where can I get my suit cleaned?
How do you want your hair cut?
Would you like to keep asking me questions?
Should I go to the doctor?
How much wood should I bring home?
Isn't she beautiful?
Where is Dennis sitting?
Why does this computer keep crashing?
When will I get to see that movie?
Who's on First?
If I go to sleep tonight, when will I wake up?
When will I wake up?
What is the square root of two?