[DECtalk] problem with sapi voices

Missy Hoppe melissah at fuse.net
Fri Aug 18 07:17:19 EDT 2006

Hello, list. I realize that this isn't dectalk related, but since it
pertains to synthetic speech, I'm hoping that someone might be able to
help.
I am wondering if it's possible to remove a sapi synthesizer from the list
in the speech applet in my control panel. The synth in question is no
longer installed on my system, but is still listed in the text-to-speech
tab.
Well, I suppose that if you want to get really technical about it, it is,
but it's a slightly different version.
I had the APH version of AT&T Mike installed, then got the Nextup.com CDs
of the AT&T voices. The nextup.com AT&T voices only seemed to install
correctly after I removed the APH version of Mike from my system. Now, in
my control panel speech applet, I have Mike listed twice, but naturally,
the second listing doesn't function. Is there any way I can remove it?
It also seems that having a voice that is no longer installed has caused
the game of Life I downloaded from Kitchensinc.net to stop working. It
simply produces an error screen. I think this is because the voice in
question was the last one the game used.
If I can't remove the voice, do you think it would work to reinstall it now
that the nextup.com voices are installed correctly? I'd only reinstall it
as a last resort, though, because it seems a bit redundant to have two
versions of the exact same voice running on my computer.
I hope that this makes sense to sombody, and any assistance/advice that can
be provided in this matter would be extremely appreciated.
Thank you very much, and I hope that everyone is having a wonderful day.
Missy