[DECtalk] dectalk express firmware

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Jun 15 00:46:33 EDT 2005

Hi.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I have had the same problem a few times
but I had no idea that it was a bug in the firmware.  Another thing I
noticed is that when I'm reading long documents, like books, it starts to
say a word, has a short pause and finishes.  It isn't like a delay, it's
like the word is split when I know it isn't.  An example is something like
"something."  It will say "somet hing."  It inserts a random space for no
reason.  I tried the 4.6 firmware and didn't like it at all.  If you have
any ideas on how to avoid the power cycle problem, I'm interested.

At 12:24 PM 6/14/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>I don't know what the difference is, but I think there are some bugfixes.  I
>once had a DECtalk with an older firmware from I think August of 96.
>Sometimes, for some reason, when reading a website it would just lock up.  A
>power cycle was required to get it going again.  I upgraded to 4.6CD and the
>problem went away.  So I'd recommend you stick with what you've got in there
>right now.  Note that if you like the way your DECtalk sounds now, you do
>not want to upgrade to the 4.6 versions from Force.  In the opinions of
>several of us, Force took a DECtalk that was perfectly good and ruined it.

Tony Baechler
Maintainer, goldenaudio.net (TM) online archives
http://goldenaudio.net/