[DECtalk] dectalk express, software volume control?

Patrick Perdue patrick at pdaudio.net
Sun Jul 10 22:41:02 EDT 2005

Hi Jayson:
One thing I should say is that the volume difference is so slight as to
almost not be noticeable, but I can hear a very slight difference with all default
parameters between Jaws and the startup message.
I have not flashed my DecTalk express, because I don't know where to get
the firmware, and don't know how to flash the unit either.

This is the string that DecTalk sends to the serial port at power up:

DECtalk Express Speech Synthesizer. (11/08/96 13:48:14)
1..  .  ROM checksum: 48
Copyright (C)1993-1996 Digital Equipment Corporation - All Rights Reserved *
 ss:esp 00000010:000EFFB0
{Go} [DECtalk Express is running.]