[DECtalk] DecTalk newbie

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Apr 22 01:55:36 EDT 2005

Hi.  OK, sorry for misunderstanding you.  Yes, I'm sure you are correct
that no early speech synthesizer would support CD quality sample
rates.  There would be no reason.  Probably the DEC-Talk had the highest
sampling rate of any at the time.  I know that the new SAPI 5 voices do
support much higher sampling rates because I played with them when they
came out.

Now I'm curious about something.  What was the sample rate of the Echo
synthesizers?  I would think it was rather low because of what it had to
work with.  I think I read in a manual that it was only 8,000 HZ but I
would have to find it again.  I think it would obviously be 8-bit audio
since that's all the computers would support.  I used an Echo GP for the PC
many years ago and that could have been 16-bit audio.  I don't have specs
for the Echo PC/GP but that would be interesting.