[DECtalk] DecTalk newbie

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 19 19:32:51 EDT 2005

Hi,
As far as I know, there is absolutely no way to make DECtalk sing in harmony
with itself without using a wave editor.  DECtalk can only generate one
voice at any given instant in time.  There is an option in the DECtalk demo
to save a .wav file of the sound generated by the synthesizer.  Using that
and a sound editor, you could put several of those files together to make a
production, and that's what many people do.  Some, naturally, are of better
quality than others.  Some files have distortion because, presumably, the
voices weren't normalized before being combined, and/or the final product
wasn't normalized.  Some have aliasing.  Aliasing is a high-frequency
element added to a sound, where none was present before.  Aliasing is caused
by people converting the DECtalk wav files to a higher sampling rate using
certain poorly written tools for this purpose.  On the other hand, some are
of probably the best quality possible, given the limits of the DECtalk
system itself.
Jayson.