[Blindapple] stuttering Echo II speech

Blake Roberts BEarlRoberts at aol.com
Fri Jun 23 00:09:22 EDT 2023

Hi all,
I have not used the virtual Apple II for months. Someone I know told me
recently about an issue of the Echo II stuttering when a disk image is
booted in Mame. That's also the issue where there are mutiple short
beeps at Apple2 startup instead of one long beep.

I duplicated this issue today in my copy of Mame. Additionally, it
occurs for me when I load a disk in the old Mess package with Apple2
emulation. Before
using Mess, I replaced all files in my MessApple-Win folder with those
in the zip to ensure a clean Mess folder with default .ini files.

To my knowledge, my friend and I are both using 64-bit Windows 10.
Multiple reboots of my computer did not resolve issue.

Eventually, I thought the presence of JAWS could be cause of Echo2
stuttering (if JAWS does not unload fully from memory). I changed the
screen reader
starting with Windows to NVDA. The Echo2 speech stuttering issue
repeated itself in Mame and Mess. I did not have either screen reader
running before loading
Mame/Mess. I have used my computer for many years.

Does anyone have ideas to resolve the speech stuttering issue?