[Blindapple] Clicking DOS 3.3

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Thu Sep 14 15:26:54 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I have something I came up with a month or two ago, and it's a bit off
the wall. One of the things I've always missed about MESS/MAME or any
other Apple II emulator is the lack of disk noise. I've come up with a
partial solution for DOS 3.3. It doesn't give us the motor noise, but it
does make seeks make noise. What I've done is to modify the DOS 3.3 disk
drive head seek routine located at $BA00 so it clicks the speaker as
it's moving the drive head. This means you get to hear the drive moving
from track to track as files are read or written. In my limited tests
this hasn't harmed any disks on my real Apple, and it certainly
shouldn't do any harm under emulation.

Attached is a zip with a disk image called dosclick.dsk. I zipped it
because it's almost entirely blank, so compresses extremely well. It has
a copy of ProntoDOS with the clicking patch already installed. There are
two sixteen-byte binary files on the disk, click and no click. BRUN or
BLOAD either one to get the desired effect. If you BRUN click, it will
click the speaker once.

I hope someone gets some use out of this.