[Blindapple] further attempts to play eamon

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Oct 21 05:58:09 EDT 2015

Hi,

First, I don't use a Mac, so anything I tell you is based on Windows.  That
said, the emulator is basically the same on all platforms, so it shouldn't
matter except in small details.

Yes, I personally would recommend booting the boot disk, switching to the
Eamon Master and switching again for each adventure.  Yes, it is a pain the
first time, but it's really not bad once you get used to it.  The biggest
advantage is you have guaranteed speech and you have a much faster DOS, at
least on the boot disk I posted here.  Once you actually get the disk
booted, you can save the state and restore that state all the time, so you
won't have to go through the boot process every time.  In other words, let's
say I boot my boot disk.  I exit to BASIC and I have speech.  I just press
Scroll Lock, 3, ESC.  Now, I can pass "-state 3" on the command line to
start the virtual Apple II right where I left it in BASIC, so I don't have
to boot the boot disk again.  For example:

1. I boot the boot disk:

mess apple2ee -flop1 tbbase.dsk

2. I exit to BASIC.  I press Scroll Lock, 3, ESC.

3. I then want to run the Eamon Master:

mess apple2ee -flop1 d:\mess\disks\eamon\e_001.dsk -state 3

I can then type "run" to run the menu already in memory and start the Master
as normal.

On Windows, you don't need Shift-F7 even though the README says you do.  I
just press scroll lock, 1, ESC to save the state and exit.  I think the
reason why you're getting no DOS on the disk is because you're trying to
boot the adventure disk.  None of the EAG disks have DOS, so that error
would be expected.  If you try to resume a state which isn't saved, it acts
like a reboot.  I used that trick to force the emulator to boot a disk when
I don't want to restore a currently saved state.  I noticed that MESS seems
to require the full path to the disk.  For example, disks\boot.dsk doesn't
seem to work, but \mess\disks\boot.dsk does.  It has a disk chooser, but it
isn't accessible.

Maybe someone who actually uses a Mac can give you better instructions, but
it sounds like you're not saving the state, probably because you're pressing
the wrong key.  I don't know what to tell you since I don't use a Mac, but I
can assure you that I've played through all of the EAG disks at least once
and they all played fine.  Once you get things working and figure out what
the right keys are to save the state and exit, I can pass on some tricks to
make things slightly easier, but until you figure out how to switch disks,
I'm of limited help.  Some Eamon adventures are on two, three or four disks,
so you need to figure that out first.  I understand it isn't your fault and
I don't think you're doing anything wrong.  I think the instructions are
slightly off.  Once I figured out Shift-F7 doesn't actually do anything, I
had better luck.  I'm sorry I can't help further.  What I can do is send you
a zip of my Eamon disks.  Most of them are identical to the EAG, but some
have speedups added which makes them more playable in my opinion.