[Blindapple] copying Dos to non-talking disk

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Mon Mar 17 16:02:31 EDT 2014

Hi,

Do you mean the disk is in DOS 3.3 format, but isn't bootable? To find out,
put a bootable DOS disk in drive 1, the disk in question in drive 2,
boot, get to Applesoft, and type:
catalog,d2

If you get a list of files, the disk may not be bootable. If you get an I/O
error or a blank or garbage list of files, the disk is probably using
ProDOS or its own proprietary operating system. You can sometimes make
ProDOS disks talk, but that's a totally different procedure. It's not
generally possible to make disks which use their own independent OS talk,
as there's no recognized filesystem to install Textalker, and no way to
make the bootup process, whatever it is, recognize that it needs to load
it.