[Blindapple] A Linux Apple

Kyle kyle at gmx.ca
Tue Oct 1 14:35:14 EDT 2013

Hi all,
I got the Apple emulator running in Linux. It's working very nicely in
fact. I did need to pull down the sdlmess package, which I was able to
get from the Arch User Repository, but other distros may need to build
it manually. Once the sdlmess package is installed, I have a modified
version that takes some stuff from the Mac version and some stuff from
the Windows version and goes into ~/.mess. I also wrote a little shell
script that simplifies the command line, and allows disk images to be
run from anywhere. It can run from the home directory like

./apple bootdisks/disk1.dsk

or

./apple bootdisks/disk1.dsk datadisks/disk2.dsk

or to change disks

cd disks
~/apple BEXBOOT.dsk mychapters.dsk

Start the boot disk, initialize mychapters.dsk if it is a newly created
blank, and then press delete, shift f7, 1, escape and run

~/apple -s 1 bexmain.dsk mychapters.dsk

and then press the space bar to change disks. Yeah, this process is
definitely simplified now, not so much typing lol. The script will even
let the user know if mychapters.dsk didn't already exist, so that it can
be initialized in the Apple.

I will be zipping the file up in such a way that the zip file will
extract everything properly into the user's home directory, and the
./apple script will just work. Before I just put this thingy up on my
website and link to it here, is there a better place for it, like
alongside the Windows and Mac versions? It doesn't have Mess built in,
but I guess that could be an option to make it work for everyone if it
can't be had without building it, although it would make the file a ton
heavier. I would need to build 32-bit and 64-bit versions though, since
it isn't fully known where it would be used. Additionally, building it
in would take more time, as I would need to fiddle with it mor to be
sure it runs properly if the package wasn't already installed.

I'm just hoping that my little effort brings back all those memories for
Linux users as it did for me. I don't use Windows or Mac, but I wanted
to make this thing work, and it does so very well here. Thanks for any
help getting it out there.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--