[Blindapple] Interesting Textalker discoveries

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Fri Nov 8 18:55:38 EST 2013

Hi,

I have a theory, and it's just that, a theory. According to BEX
newsletters, the version numbering for BEX was a bit nonstandard. First
there was an early beta which was version 1.0, and then a later beta
which was 1.5. Neither of these versions seems to have survived. The
first public version was 2.0. If Street did much the same thing, it's
possible that Textalker 2.X versions were internal or private betas, and
were never publicly released. That would explain why no copies of
Textalker 2.X seem to exist, at least none that we've been able to find.

A similar thing happened with Apple DOS. Apparently, when the developer
turned over his copy of DOS to Apple, the version number he was using
was 2.8. Apple decided they couldn't release something called DOS 2.8,
so they bumped it up to 3.0 for the beta release, and 3.1 for the
initial public release.
Jayson