[Blindapple] Anyone still here? And a few software requests

Jayson Smith ratguy at insightbb.com
Wed Jan 20 13:33:35 EST 2010

Okay, here you go. Before starting, insure the Apple and PC can successfully
communicate over the serial port, but that goes without saying!

1. Start with a scratch disk formatted as DOS 3.3, and have DOS 3.3 booted.
2. Send this program to the Apple.

--- Start of program

 430 START = 8192:BUF = 9000: FOR A = START TO START + 28
 440  READ V: POKE A,V: NEXT
 450  DATA
169,32,160,8,32,217,3,96,1,96,1,0,17,15,25,32,40,35,0,0,1,0,0,96,1,0,1,239,216
 460 R = 1:W = 2

--- End of program

3. Run this program. There should be no output.
4. Type this command.
bsave disk access,a8192,l29
5. Now send this program to the Apple. If your serial connection is not in
slot 1, replace PR#1 with PR#X where X is the proper slot number.

--- Start of program

 0  PRINT  CHR$ (4),"BLOAD DISK ACCESS"
 1  GET A$
 2 A$ = ""
 3 CR$ =  CHR$ (13)
 4  PR# 1
 10  FOR T = 0 TO 34
 20  FOR S = 0 TO 15
 30  POKE 8204,T: POKE 8205,S
 50  FOR N = 9000 TO 9255
 60  PRINT  PEEK (N);: PRINT CR$;
 70  NEXT N: NEXT S: NEXT T
 80  GET A$
 90  PR# 0

--- End of program

6. Save this program. Type
save send disk
7. Although I seriously doubt this program will damage anything, until you
know it's working properly, I would suggest trying it on disks that either
you don't care about, or you have multiple copies, or can quickly make a
throwaway copy in case something goes wrong. I think this is an unnecessary
precaution, but better to waste a few minutes making copies than risk losing
irreplaceable software!
8. When you run this program, nothing is printed. When disk activity stops,
remove your disk and insert the disk to be imaged. At this point, start a
capture buffer session or ASCII receive on your PC. When that's set up, and
the disk is inserted, press any key to begin the transfer. It will take a
few minutes, as the data is transferred sector by sector. Should you hear
the dreaded buzzzzzzzz! of a disk head recalibration, DOS had trouble
reading that sector, so its contents are probably not valid. Hopefully you
won't get much of that!
9. To know when the program is done, just listen to the disk drive. If a
long time goes by without the motor coming on, chances are it's done. Also,
if you have Textalker loaded, it will probably say "Ready" when it's done. A
twiddle dump works wonders here!
10. Stop your capture or ASCII receive. What you will have is a file
containing lots of numbers. Send this file to me privately. For best
results, I'd recommend sending the files as attachments, and if you want to
save bandwidth, zip them. Since it's all numbers, they should zip up quite
nicely. My address, scrambled for spam prevention, is.
rat guy at insightbb dot com.
11. I will take your file and turn it into a disk image, hopefully! Until we
can see if this is going to work, please don't go all out and crazy, imaging
every disk you have. Just image one or two, to make sure this is working.
It's been years since I used these programs, and I wrote them for my own
use, never figuring on anyone else using them.
Hope this helps!