[Blindapple] Apple II ebooks

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Sep 26 02:19:15 EDT 2005

Hello all.  This list has been rather quiet lately so I thought I would ask
you something.  Does anyone know of any freely available books or other
reference works for the Apple II?  I am particularly interested in user
manuals but I'll take anything.  I think that RFB&D in the US had something
but it isn't free and I doubt if it's still available.  I know that
Web-Braille has the following books but one is rather old and one is for
young readers.  I don't mind the book being old but it's more of a profile
of Apple Computer as opposed to a reference work specifically for the Apple
II.  The book numbers are:

BR 06256
BR 10590

Also note that the first book has a lot of swearing and such so might not
be what one wants.  I don't know if bookshare has anything or not.  I don't
care about the Mac.  I know bookshare has quite a few Mac books but they
don't interest me.  I think one of the Apple II sites has an official
reference manual available but it's only in jpg images and apparently has
lots of illustrations and diagrams.  I don't mind trying to use OCR
software on images but something like pdf would probably work better.  Does
anyone else have any ideas?  If you're worried about copyright, the law
allows the blind in the US to make copies and scans of books as long as
they are in a specialized format like .brf or DAISY.  If you really want to
be careful, just submit the book scan to bookshare.org.  Note that this law
does not apply to international users, only the US.  I understand that the
UK and Australia have similar laws but I don't know.
Now over 17,000 free ebooks available from Project Gutenberg, the oldest
producer of public domain literature online.

http://gutenberg.org/