[Blindapple] Domain name for the Blindapple site and list?

tearsong tearsong6 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:24:08 EDT 2005

Hi..
I realize that, as a lurker, not being blind (at least not with my glasses
on...) though I grew up partially deaf (a surgery changed that a few years
ago), but absolutely loving (still) my old Apple IIe, I should probably keep
my mouth shut.

However, a warning about the name blind-apple.com <http://blind-apple.com>.
Beware of any domain with a hyphen... While it looks cleaner, when you try
to actually *say* the name it can be abit confusing... A friend of mine
recently tried to tell another person of
'strategic-data.com<http://strategic-data.com>'
(a site he created and currently resides on his server). This is a
paraphrased transcript of the one-sided conversation i heard through the
phone...:

"sure, one of the sites I made was the local company I used to work at. Go
to strategic...."
*pauses listening*
"Yup, s - t - r - a - t - e - g- i - c. Dash dat....."
*pause*
"No no, dash, not underscore...."
*pause*
"I don't understan... oh! No, not the slash key.. dash... the one between
the zero and equal-sign..."
*pause*
"Right, dash data dot com..."

I think he was talking to someone that wanted him to do their website and
wanted to see some stuff he'd already done. Just a warning, while in most
cases, it is understood, it can sometimes be vaguely confusing to people
unused to typing in URL addresses...

~tearsong