[Blindapple] Emulating Echo

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jul 29 02:58:35 EDT 2005

Hi.  I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the Cricket since I never had
one.  The point here is to simulate an Echo, not emulate it.  Emulating it
would be very difficult if not impossible.  I wouldn't even try.  If I can
trick Textalker to pretend there is an Echo where there isn't, and route
that to a hardware port like com1, it would be possible to simulate the
Echo, including review mode.  Cricket would really make no
difference.  Also remember that A2 has no port and no means of emulating
them.  The only slot it emulates, other than slot 6 to boot is slot 1.  It
doesn't even really emulate ProDOS.  It has a dummy ProDOS driver built-in
but doesn't actually do anything with the system files on a ProDOS disk.  I
found that out when I was looking at jump.c.  It doesn't emulate slot
3.  If you do PR#3, it crashes.  We only have slot 1 to work with for now
under A2.  If we can switch to something like an IIe or IIgs emulator,
everything changes and we can consider a Cricket.  For now, I just think it
would be nice to use A2 reliably without a separate DOS screen reader and
still use some of the Textalker functionality.  I think my next experiment
will be to find the old 1.3 Textalker and try to get it to look in slot
1.  I hope I have that disk around here.