[Blindapple] Emulating Echo

GUI Access guiaccess at covad.net
Thu Jul 28 10:15:45 EDT 2005

>Hi.  Is there a way of finding out what it sends to the slot to
>detect whether there is a real Echo or not?  I tried various tricks
>to find out but as yet have been unsuccessful.  Obviously I know it
>sends something because that is how the Doubletalk knows when to
>switch.  Is there a way to patch Textalker to only look for a card
>in slot 1?  I think I am reasonably close to making A2 simulate an
>Echo but I need a way to trick Textalker into sending to slot 1 even
>though there is no Echo there.  I know there is a way to do this
>with the older versions, but what about the 3.1 APH series?  I
>believe that even though we can't really ever use a real Echo under
>emulation, it can be simulated fairly easily.  I played with this a
>little and looked at the C source and it looks simple enough.
>Aalas, if A2 only emulated sound!  However, if I can get something
>going under A2, it might be possible to make it work with a better
>emulator.  Please, if you know any C programmers, contact me!  This
>would take a good programmer very little time to do since I think I
>know what needs to be changed.
>
>For those interested, all this stuff is in jump.c and vidout.c.  The
>jump.c opens a2.printlog if someone activates slot 1.  The vidout.c
>is obviously for video output and opens a2.log if running under
>Linux.  Both look simple enough and I think they could be easily
>modified.  The only other thing I might need is a dump of the Echo
>ROM, which I think is in the c400 range for slot 4 from within the
>monitor.  I could very well have no idea what I'm talking about, but
>I would like to try more experiments.  My initial attempt did work
>reasonably well, but not quite good enough.

There is no Echo ROM that shows up in the $C100 - $C7FF address
space.  Textalker looks at the I/O lines for each slot at $C090-$C09F
for slot 1, $C0A0-$C0AF for slot 2, ... $C0F0-$C0FF for slot 7.  I
have no idea what it looks for and/or what data it stuffs into these
addresses to identify an Echo.  But all communicating with the Echo
is through these addresses.

GUI Access