[DECtalk] Software DECtalk availability (was Re: using dectalk with orca in ubuntu)

Jason J.G. White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Feb 4 08:12:45 EST 2024

On 4/2/24 07:18, Josh Kennedy wrote:
> Lets say for example, you started a commercial company called Karen
> LuEllen incorporated. You want to develop your own product, your own
> noteTaker, a for-profit operating system, or a new talking microwave.
> You want to use decTalk in that product. You want to sell that product
> with decTalk incorporated into it. You would have to license decTalk
> in order to do that.

I think that's the kind of scenario that the AGPLv3 license typically
wouldn't allow for and for which a commercial license would be needed.

However if all of the software in your product were open-source and you
were only selling the hardware, then you wouldn't need a commercial
license under the AGPL as far as I'm aware. As I remember, the AGPL also
addresses the situation in which you run a commercial service involving
proprietary software, and you want to use code licensed under the AGPl
in it - which is not permitted.

So, on that basis, assuming Josh's characterization is accurate, I'm not
sure wehther an option such as AGPLv3 might be attractive to the new owner.