[DECtalk] New participant

Jason J.G. White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sat Feb 3 14:41:59 EST 2024

On 3/2/24 14:11, Chime Hart wrote:
> In reality Jason, it was Emacsspeak which wouldn't compile, even with
> a newer version. I don't know if there are ways of useing the server
> alone?

Yes, you can run the speech server directly from a shell for testing
purposes. There are two servers, dtk-exp for DECTalk Express and
dtk-soft for Software DECtalk. If you run the server from a shell, you
should get spoken output, and a prompt. I have always found it useful to
test the speech server before running Emacspeak.

If memory serves, current versions of Emacspeak need Emacs 29.

even if Emacspeak doesn't fully compile, you should still be able to run
it. Byte compilation improves its efficiency, but it should still run
from the Emacs Lisp source files without being completely byte-compiled.

I personally run Emacspeak from its Git repository, which is kept in a
subdirectory of my home directory.