[DECtalk] New participant

Miguel Villagomez miguelv064 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 09:37:27 EST 2024

Welcome, Jason!
It's interesting to hear your DECtalk usage background over the years. As I
recall, a French version of DECtalk wasn't available until the early 2000s
when version 4.6.1 was released by Force Computers. Interestingly though,
back in the 90s, Creative Labs, who used a version of DECtalk in their
SoundBlaster cards for speech synthesis using TextAssist, did offer a
French language edition of the synthesizer.
Also, since you've been following the DECtalk revival project, you might be
interested to know that we actually have 64-bit x86 code running under
newer Linux kernels. Granted you do have to do some terminal work to get it
to compile, but when it works, it works wonderfully! In fact I've been
using it with Orca as of late.