[DECtalk] RVC: Retrieval-based Voice Conversion

Aksel Leo Christoffersen aksel at blindsigtmail.dk
Sun Sep 17 10:50:12 EDT 2023

Hi,

This might be a bit off topic for the list, but I thought I'd share it
anyway, if anyone schould be interested, so I hope it's not a problem.

Some months ago, Blake Roberts posted some links on the list to some songs,
which was sung by an artificial intelligence recreating a specific human
voice, using a technology called SVC.

I have recently learned about a program called RVC, which is a better, and
easiere to use, version of SVC. The program works by using a voice model to
convert an audio file with a speaking, or singing, voice, into sounding like
that specific voice. As an example, You have installed a voice model of
Frank Sinatra, and record an audio clip of yourself speaking. You then
convert the audio clip with RVC, and with Frank Sinatra as the selected
voice model. Now, the resulting audio file will have the exact same spoken
text as before, but now spoken by Frank Sinatra. The same gos with singing,
and it all works across languages.

Many voice models are available for download on the internet, of various
wellknown singers and actors, created by users of the program. It is
possible to make your own model of your own, or some other, voice, but it
requires a very powerful computer.

The program is most widely used to make cover versions of songs, sung by
other singers, sutch as Freddie Mercury singing "All I want for christmas is
you" by Mariah Carey, and I have personally used it a lot for just that.

The program is a bit tricky to install, and have a lot of different
settings, but it's fairly easy to use, and doesn't require any programming
knowledge, as was the case with SVC. It is also fully compatible with screen
readers, since the interface opens in Google Chrome, as more or less a
normal website.

RVC can be downloaded here:

https://huggingface.co/lj1995/VoiceConversionWebUI/resolve/main/RVC-beta.7z

Kind regards: