[DECtalk] A MIDI Transcript I have created

Ulysses Harmony Garcia green_gables_fan33 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 24 09:51:29 EST 2023

Hello y'all,

I usually don't post here, but I wanted to share with you a winter
holiday song that I found way back in 2009, and which has since then
been my favourite rendition. In fact, I loved it so much that I even
offered it to a potential a cappella group that I had once signed up to
audition for, just before COVID hit. I unfortunately don't have it in
sheet music form, but given that it's now in MIDI format, the
possibilities of creating one are endless!

Even though my hearing was much better than it it is now, I had a lot of
trouble in deciphering each of the five different voice parts and what
they were doing, for my knowledge of music theory was also quite
limited, and I therefore assumed there were only four voice parts (I had
tried using a karaoke centre pan removing feature in Audacity). What I
didn't realise, until many years later, was that it had consequentially
removed a fifth voice part that was crucial to adding that unique
texture that I had so long craved to replicate. Since I already had a
working MIDI file that I had previously created with QWS, it was only a
matter of going back and add the missing part, and at long last I had
made a near exact copy of that song!

The artistic director even agreed with me and said that it was complex,
dynamic, and fun! However, they wanted to know, for a host of reasons,
if I had been the original arranger, and I had to explain that I hadn't
been able to figure out who had been behind it, and that I just happened
to like it so much that I decided to transcribe it into MIDI form. They
said they'd add it to their song suggestions. Well, since then we
haven't been able to move forward because of loss of revenue, thanks to
COVID, so I don't know if we'll ever get a chance to perform it.

But I'm glad of one thing. A couple days ago, I was researching the
Internet Archive and Wayback Machine, and by some mere chance I happened
to stumble on this Reddit post about VocalWriter being abandonware. It
turns out that Flint Million, who was a heavy user of it at the time,
along with Hugh Emerson, had been inspired by hearing a live a cappella
version of that song, and so he ended up creating his own cover!  What's
more, he's hoping to bring back VocalWriter in a whole new way, so I am
including the link to the discussion, that others who are interested may
read.
https://www.reddit.com/r/abandonware/comments/p59cb6/vocalwriter_a_completely_abandoned_singing_vocal/

Happy holidays,

_Ulysses H. Garcia, KJ7ERC