[DECtalk] DECtalk TTS licensing

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Mon Aug 30 23:41:24 EDT 2021

On 8/30/2021 11:30 AM, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> When i went to work for Xerox in the early 90's one explanation for the variety
> and quality of dectalk for communication was the number of men women  and
> children who used the tools  after losing their ability to speak.
> The importance to those I encountered of being heard clearly was hard to
> articulate.

This is largely a matter of "settling" for what's available.

I had a friend die from ALS.  Too late, I realized that it was going to
cost her her voice.  She LOVED to talk!  You'd get tired waiting for
her to shut up!  Had I understood the disease (and its rate of
progression) better, I would have taken steps to capture her voice
so she could have kept "using it" after her body no longer could.

Imagine you could give someone back their voice with a few hours of
captured speech...  ANYTHING better than "Paul" would likely be
welcomed!