[DECtalk] decTalk and speech-fx-inc

Don Text_to_Speech at GMX.com
Tue Jul 23 02:06:38 EDT 2019

On 7/22/2019 8:48 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
> Again, if you are not driving your car, I’ll just use matter-replication to
> replicate myself a copy of your car, that way you still have your car and I
> have my copy of your car. I would just need to pay for a driver’s license to
> prove I am fit to drive. Nobody has to know your car was matter-replicated
> with futuristic technology.

And my lawyer would have your vehicle seized as evidence in the case against
you.  The same matter replication technology would be used to PROVE that you
had an IDENTICAL copy of my car -- not one that was manufactured separately
from mine -- even if manufactured using matter-replication technology ("Gee,
how is it that your car has the same DENT in the hood that mine does?  Down
to the molecular level?!  (sort of like DNA).  This would undoubtedly be
seen as /prima facie/ evidence of the theft -- without ever having to prove
when and where you committed the crime (just like "receiving stolen goods").

More and more product development effort (esp with regard to software) is
going into preventing and detecting counterfeiting.  That's effort that
COULD have gone into making the product better.

Wait until you have to be online to use that new-fangled speech synthesizer
and the software validates your license IN REAL TIME and refuses to "speak"
unless you've paid this month's license fee!  Not only will you not own a
license for "unlimited use on a single machine" but you'll have to pay
a subscription fee to maintain your license... even if you aren't using it
this month!

[Obviously, the software developers must think of this sort of unauthorized
use as THEFT if they are investing this sort of effort into preventing or
detecting it!  And, the cost of investing in those "protections" gets
passed on to the customer!]