[DECtalk] Question regarding Dectalk Express firmware

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Thu Jul 19 10:39:05 EDT 2018

Hi,

The actual file you're referencing may be able to be extracted using
7Zip, since it's a self-extracting archive. However, that won't get you
very far, as the programs contained within are also 16-bit, and designed
to run under DOS. You need to understand, at the time these files were
released, Windows 9X at the very latest was the most modern consumer
operating system available, and that ran on top of DOS. Also, probably
many computers with DECtalk Express units didn't have Windows installed
at all, and ran pure DOS, with DOS applications exclusively. Therefore,
it was taken for granted that any PC user with a DECtalk Express would
have no problem running DOS applications. As far as I know, there has
never been any Windows software which can upgrade or downgrade DECtalk
Express firmware, it has to be done from DOS.

While you may be able to get a virtual machine going, whether it can
access a USB serial port is beyond me. What I'd do in your situation is
to find a 16-bit DOS or 32-bit Windows machine and upgrade the firmware
from there. If you're using a DOS prompt from within Windows, you need
to make sure nothing else is trying to access the serial port while the
firmware upgrade is happening. To be really safe, use Windows 95 or 98,
which allow you to exit Windows completely and drop to a true DOS prompt
with no Windows running at all.

Hope this helps,

Jayson