[DECtalk] Some questions about DECtalk Express

Tom Kopec w1pf at comcast.net
Mon Aug 13 08:01:12 EDT 2018

Power jack takes a 2.1mm/5.5mm plug, center positive. The unit requires
12V, at least 400mA, *regulated* ... These are pretty commonly
available, they are often used for LED strip lights. Just make sure the
polarity is correct.

If you hook up a power supply with reversed polarity or too-high
voltage, an internal fuse in the DECtalk Express will blow.  The fuse is
a surface-mount fuse near the power jack, digikey part F1165CT-ND , any
electronic technician can test and/or replace it.
I think later builds changed this fuse to a self-resetting protector.

The unit will work fine on external power even with a dead battery.

...tom