[DECtalk] Dectalk first generation

Jake Gross datajake at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 19:09:26 EDT 2017

Hi,
About that recording. I emailed Patrick Perdue several months ago
about that because that recording was part of a 7z archive of
productions he has. The first generation DECtalk  was actually a
prank. He used a DECtalk express, compressed the recording with lpc,
and used manual stressing and incorrect phonemes
Speaking of old versions of DECtalk, I was able to get DECtalk 1.8 and
DECtalk 2.0 running in the mame emulator.
I uploaded an archive that contains mame and the DECtalk rom.
http://grossgang.com/utilities/mame0184b_64bit.7z
To start the emulator, open a command prompt and open the directory
where mame was extracted.
Type mame64 dectalk and press enter to start DECtalk 2.0. To start the
emulator with DECtalk 1.8, type mame64 dectalk -bios 1.
You will have to press enter twice after you execute the command. If
all goes well, you should here the DECtalk startup message. To have
DECtalk speak your own text, just type your text and press enter
twice.