[DECtalk] Dectalk on PayPal!

Blake Roberts beroberts at hughes.net
Fri Apr 7 15:00:05 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I was attempting to complete a security challenge on PayPal several minutes
ago. There is an audio alternative which I was using because Captcha Be Gone
service from Q-Continuum could not find the visual captcha. Anyway, I was
surprised to hear what I think is one of the Dectalk voices speak the
letters/numbers! The characters were choppy so the voice was difficult to
understand and my attempt to solve was not successful. I think the Dectalk
voice used is Ursula. I could be wrong about the voice being from Dectalk
but I'm 99 percent certain. Apparently PayPal uses a combination of Dectalk
and ESpeak voices in their audio captchas.