[DECtalk] GNUSpeech on MAC

Carlos Fernandez cf530a at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 14:06:22 EDT 2016

GNUSpeech is an open source TTS engine that someone started when NeXT
was still a thing (so, mid 1990s), then dumped. Someone else found it a
while ago and started some work, and we talked about it a few months
ago. Because NeXTStep shares a core with OSX, the program runs on macs
and linux boxes. Even though this is the case, to the best of my
knowledge no one has constructed the proper interface between the
program and the speech framework of OS X. Therefore, you can't use it
with voiceOver at the moment. I don't even know if anyone is working on
it anymore. I looked into it, but it sounds so bad to me that I didn't
bother to change anything.

Carlos