[DECtalk] VoiceCrafts

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Mon Nov 14 23:30:49 EST 2016

Hi,

I understand that. But what are you doing specifically? Are you reading
something you've written before? Reading something from some other
source? Making up stuff on the fly, then writing a transcript? What kind
of material are you using?

The old ModelTalker had you speak 1649 utterances. The first hundred or
so were complete sentences a person might actually say. Then came a
bunch of short phrases, some of which used real words, others using
nonsense words, almost certainly so they could collect different
instances of the speech sounds. Finally there was a collection of
complete sentences using real words and proper grammatical structure,
but not making sense. Examples are, "Afternoons collect the counselor.
Puppies download a lawn mower. Zits recharge a coconut. A basketball is
amplifying huskies. A boyfriend shaves an imagination."

Jayson