[DECtalk] eloquence and Chinese

Carlos Fernandez cf530a at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 11:41:03 EDT 2015

As your resident Chinese speaker, I figured I'd inform you about a
strange problem with the Chinese eloquence sapi5 from code factory. I
recently tried the 7-day trial from code factory, and I found that only
the computer room version contains the Asian languages--the version you
can get directly from code factory does not have them. Anyway, the
Mandarin Chinese version adds a short Close front unrounded vowel,
basically what would be considered a long E in English or an I in most
other languages. It is not short enough to form a consonant Y, but it
sort of sounds like that. So, if you try to pass the character ai
through the synth, you get what sounds basically like yai out instead.
This happens to every single character, and makes using this as a
Chinese synthesizer exceedingly irritating. I wasn't going to buy it
anyway, as I don't care that much about eloquence, but this makes me
even less likely to do so.

Carlos