[DECtalk] some very very great news

Mohamed malhajamy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 07:25:09 EDT 2015

Hi everyone. I have some very,, very, very great news to tell you all.
The NVDA DECtalk can now not only process commands, but can now sing!
Here's how you get it to work. First, ensure you have the latest next
snapshot of NVDA with DECtalk installed. Then, go into your dectalk.py
file. There's a line of code that is actually blocking speech commands
from coming to the synthesizer. It's marked with the comment, "#prevent
control strings from going into our text", just search for a number sign
and it will come up. Although if you want the code quickly, paste this
line into the find dialog. Note: be sure to tab three times, I am unable
to put them here because thunderbird just puts several spaces instead of
the tab symbol.
item = item.replace('[:', ' ')
Remove that line only, and leave the rest. Now, there's a new combo box
introduced in the latest next snapshot of NVDA called send actual symbol
to synthesizer. Find the left bracket, right bracket, underline, less
than, greater than, and colon symbols. In the combo box that says send
actual symbol to synthesizer, set that option to always for each symbol.
And, enjoy your new singing NVDA!
PS.
Make sure you read it from the top of the file from the [:phone on]
command to the end so DECtalk can process them correctly.
PPS
Since NVDA has no synth specific symbols dictionary, you may notice side
effects of the change with other synthesizers.
Hope you guys enjoy.