[DECtalk] New synthesizer Gnuspeech

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Oct 23 07:51:05 EDT 2015

If I may say so, I think most of you are missing the point of the
synthesizer.  Yes, I'm the first to admit that I don't prefer the speech
quality and the inflection is a bit odd, but I noticed something which no
one else has commented on yet.  If you listen to the demo I created:

http://classicradio.us/iso/gnuspeech_gpl.mp3

you'll notice that it doesn't mispronounce anything.  I did not listen to
all of it and I noticed that it spelled every word in section 15, but I did
listen to several minutes of it and not once did I hear a word
mispronounced.  I think that's a particularly good piece of sample text
because it uses unusual phrases and words not found in every day English.
As much as I like DECtalk, IBM Viavoice and ESpeak, they all mispronounce
things.  The high end commercial synths seem to pronounce things correctly
most of the time, but they are big and really don't sound good at high
speed.  Granted, there doesn't seem to be a way to change the speech rate,
but considering the very small size (2 MB compiled if memory serves) and the
excellent pronounciation, it definitely has its points.  I'm specifically
thinking of small systems, like DTB players.  I tried the Rockbox speech and
didn't much like it, but I think Gnuspeech could be ideal for low memory
systems.  It took maybe a minute or two to convert the entire GPL to .wav.
Considering it's still early days, I'm impressed.