[DECtalk] new member

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Thu May 21 12:57:09 EDT 2015

For the record, I just enjoy DecTalk as a listener.
Well, actually, I think Speakup has had DecTalk drivers since at least 2004, however, the DecPC setup was quite
agrevating, as while arrowing, it wouldn't interrupt previous text. Once I got this USB from a company in Sacromento, it
was more pleasant staying completely in Linux, I got rid of windows in 2006.
In Speakup, my issues are that while arrowing, or other times, pitch, rate, and volume drop instantly. I must go to each
controll-pannel-and-ajust each setting back to where I want it.
The gentleman who sold me this unit is not so familliar with Linux, but he says, if I can show him a log of commands
sent to the unit by Speakup, he can solve my problem.
Well, since I attend a LUG, no1 can figure how how we can begin such a log. I guess many Speakup users would rather use
software speech.
Meanwhile, the number of similar screen-readers in Linux supporting DecTalk are quite small. YASR wants to, but is not
working. Emacspeak seems to, but learning that is complicated. Jupiter did work with DecPC, but not so-far in this
setup, although Jupiter actually has an ajustable pronunciation dictionary
I am not at all familliar with commands in the unit, as if I were, I would love to increase the inflextion. Thanks so
much in advance for any assistance
Hart