[DECtalk] mbrola voices for nvda

Ulysses GarciaGreenGablesFan Green_Gables_fan33 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 30 03:55:19 EDT 2015

Well, I was able to get MBROLA to work, finally! Five years ago, I had
trouble installing it on the same system. Now I know why. I didn't
install any of the voices, which they termed as databases. I also didn't
realise that the tool only used diphones. It didn't use raw text like I
thought it did, and my knowledge about linguistics was limited.
I think the way they made the Christmas song was the same way Orpheus
and Eloquence were being made to sing. You take parts of the word, or in
this case the diphones, and you set the values of the prosodic
intonation to make it appear as if it was either talking or singing.
This practice is in use by speech pathologists who use melodic
intonation therapy for people who have aphasia after a stroke. The math
involved in computer programming is pretty complex, but to put it
simply, it's just a way of telling the machine what to do with it, when
to do it, and how to do it.
One problem I have at the present is that I cannot add any more voices.
The database dialogue popped once when I initially installed the
programme, but now it's no longer visible, so I cannot install more
voices even though I've copied them into the programme directory.