[DECtalk] wuesion about DECtalk in screen readers

Alex H. linuxx64.bashsh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 23:10:58 EDT 2015

I got dectalk to sing in NVDA but it was irritating. You had to
hard-code the stuff in order to get [:phone on] to work, and in any
case it was limited by only being able to send the same commands in
each chunk of text sent to the synthesizer; I did that by modifying
the speak function in the driver itself. So in other words, it was
impossible and unrealistic.

I also made JAWS kind of sing using Dectalk, using a different tactic.
I modified each punctuation in the JAWS config manager to not be a
string, putting literal punctiation marks like brackets in places of
the word bracket and so on. But then, JAWS does something screwy with
spaces, so none of the commands with spaces as expected worked. So a
sample tts command would be something like: [:dvpr200gh70ri90]...
Which is annoying to read and didn't always work. Plus, there were
side effects in this method of making Dectalk speak differently using
the punctuation hack thing I explained above.

There's nothing that is a screen reader that can let Dectalk have full
control of the strings of text that are spoken, at least as far as I
know.

Alex