[DECtalk] dectalk archive: six months afterward

Carlos Fernandez cf530a at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 00:07:22 EDT 2014

Hello list,

     I'm once again checking back in with you about the dectalk archive
and its future. Given that it's been active for almost six months (six
months on 17 November), I figured it might be time to take it to the
next level.
     First let me state that any updates that have recently been sent
will probably not be seen for a while. Since the latest version of
BTSync is inaccessible, it is important to downgrade. Unfortunately,
when I did that, my keys got scrambled. This means that when I used my
keys for various folders, BTSync believed I was starting completely new
folders. I have not yet figured out why nor how to fix it.
Theoretically, it should not require anything on your end to start
getting updates once I've got it all fixed.
     That in mind, I would like your input on how this could be
improved. I had a few ideas, which I thought I'd run past you for a
quick yes or no.
1. A website version. I was thinking I could mirror this onto a web
server and post it online. It would probably have bandwidth
restrictions, but it would give those who do not like BTSync or who hear
bittorrent and assume illegal a way to hear the content. I'm not sure if
this is important or not.
2. A content restricted version. This could be an entirely separate copy
of the archive with different BTSync keys and website that contained all
of the productions except those with content that some might consider
undesirable. Anything contributed to the content-restricted version
would automatically be placed in the full version as well.
     Also, I had a question about the dectalkified episodes of Red
Dwarf. Well, two questions. First, should we keep them? I decided to
leave them out of the no legal gray areas rule because of the history
they represent. This will change if the BBC tells me otherwise, but
until then, or unless the community asks to have it changed, they will
remain. Secondly, if they remain, should they be updated? There are
places where there are errors, and only the first six series of a
ten-series show are present. Should we go through and correct them?
     I think that's it, but please let me know if there is anything more
I can do for the archive or the community.

Thank you,
Carlos