[DECtalk] anyone know the point of the gwmicro files?

Alex H. linuxx64.bashsh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 09:29:52 EDT 2014

My 2 cents, probably OK to leave the .exe files as is, but maybe drop
them in a different folder named "hardware firmware" or similar. That
way it's not confusing for new joiners of the archive wondering why
this or that demo doesn't work and posting questions about them. If
they have a hardware box, chances are they know how to run a .exe or
extract one. :)
thanks
Alex

On 6/19/14, Carlos Fernandez <cf530a at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah. That makes sense. It seems these are something for use with the
> dectalk express and pc2 devices. In light of this, I have a few questions:
> 1. Should I keep these files?
> 2. If I should, should I rename them to make it clearer what they do?
> 3. Also, should I de-exe them and archive them in .zip files for those
> who may not be able to run them?
>
> Carlos
> On 6/19/2014 20:17, Jayson Smith wrote:
>> I assume most if not all of those files are self-extracting zips. If
>> you have 7Zip, it might be able to extract them.
>>
>> A few of those files are software/firmware for old DECtalk products
>> like the DECtalk PC and DECtalk PC II cards, and the DECtalk Express
>> external serial speech synthesizer.
>> Jayson
>>
>> On 6/19/2014 7:11 PM, Carlos Fernandez wrote:
>>> So I know that gwmicro used to hold the dectalk 4.6.1 demo, but there
>>> are other files I don't know. Does anyone know what the purposes of
>>> these files are and whether we should keep them in the archive?
>>> dtpc1v42cd.exe
>>> dtpc2v42cd.exe
>>> dtxv42cd.exe
>>> ex_gr.exe