[DECtalk] Think I fixed the bouncing problem

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Tue Jul 22 19:14:28 EDT 2014

Hi,

That's sort of right. Here's an example.

Let's pretend that I have a yahoo.com address. I don't, but for this
example, let's just pretend that I do. Okay, so I send a message to the
list, and the list does its thing, sending my message to everybody on
the list, including myself.

The way it used to work, my address would be in the From: line of the
message. So now, certain providers would see a message come in, and it
would appear to be from yahoo.com, since that's my pretend Email
address. But wait a minute, this message isn't coming from a Yahoo mail
server. In the eyes of these providers, this could be someone trying to
impersonate a Yahoo address, so the message is rejected.

The way it works now is that my pretend Yahoo address is stripped from
the From: line, and the list's address is put there instead. Now, when
Yahoo, Hotmail, Comcast, etc. see this message come through, they don't
see a Yahoo message coming from a non-Yahoo server any more, so it goes
through.
Jayson