[DECtalk] legality

Carlos Fernandez cf530a at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 11:33:26 EDT 2014

Hello,

     As this issue has arisen, I would like to clarify that all software
found in the dectalk archive is either freeware or abandonware. I do not
condone copyright infringement and will not allow illegal software or
content into the archive.
     That being said, if certain software is extremely old (usually the
cut-off point is 2000) and/or the company that produced or bought the
software has gone out of business, the software is considered
abandonware. This is only changed if the company that owns the software
is still supporting, selling, or saying that the software is still not
abandoned. For example, acapela group, even though they are not
developing infovox230 and 330, has stated that this product is not
abandoned. Thus, distributing the registered copy is not allowed.
Distributing the trial version is perfectly fine.
     I will check the license for the software and report if there is
any legal issue. I frankly do not foresee one. In my opinion, it would
be better not to bring this up as a point of argument with every new
addition to our archive. You can rest assured that I will meticulously
inspect all of the incoming software to be sure there is no legal issue.
If one arises, I will inform the list and the archive.

I hope this has been helpful,
Carlos