[DECtalk] Off-topic - Email client?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Mar 4 04:27:45 EST 2013

Did you see my posts to you about this on the Speakup list?  I recommend
Thunderbird.  It meets all of your requirements.  Since your profile is
completely separate from the program location, you can copy your profile to
a flash drive and access your mail from anywhere.  Also, I strongly suggest
that you switch to IMAP instead of POP3 for retrieving your mail if you
haven't done so already.  IMAP is much faster and avoids a lot of problems,
not to mention also making your mail available anywhere, including the web
if you have a webmail package installed.  Also, Windows 7 does have Windows
Mail which is supposed to be like OE, but please look at Thunderbird.  It's
free software and runs on Linux as well.  Since Thunderbird uses standard
mbox files for mail storage, you can use any standard Linux mail program to
read them if necessary.  I've never imported from OE, but I'm pretty sure
Thunderbird does that as well.  I don't use JFW, but it works great with
Window-Eyes and NVDA.